Friday 10 January 2014

White Dwarf is changing...

I don't normally bother with GW news, but this is quite a biggie....

Via Beasts of War: and I quote, come February, White Dwarf will be changing into…
White Dwarf Weekly
...[a] twenty eight page weekly paper magazine available in trade and retail and will come to around the price of a pot of paint. It will feature new releases, the usual columns and general articles....
and 
Warhammer Visions
Visions takes up the usual monthly slot and will also be in print, not digital. It’s heralded to be a nice sexy looking magazine looking at the months releases with plenty of high quality images [...] Visions should also be in news stands rather than just in-house. The cost comes in at around the same price as the current White Dwarf and is more of a ‘collectors piece’.
Before all my younger GW-playing readers wail about changes to an industry icon, I should point out that when I was your age, White Dwarf was a generic RPG magazine and one of the best sources of unofficial (A)D&D related content going (including such awesome extra classes as a variant bard, the barbarian, the houri (oh man - who remembers the houri?!)). So its already changed pretty much beyond all recognition (even if piecemeal) since then...

Pah. Kids today. Harrumph.

7 comments:

  1. So does this mean less gaming articles and more and more stuff on how to paint that month's new releases? I suppose by having a weekly magazine the idea would be to get people to have to go into a GW shop every week. Can't see e.g.Smiths taking the weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! The Halls of Tizun Thane! I think I still have a copy of the first White Dwarf scenario compendium lying around somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what every other retailer does for free. Advertising & product related puff pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I might still have the houri issue in our study. I certainly remember a mutual friend.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. Expanding paper publication? In 2014? A very courageous move, Minister.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hell, I remember the Houri - and the War Smith! And the RQ, D&D, Traveller and even Paranoia scenarios that they published...

    Anyone remember the RuneQuest figures which were released by Citadel? Or the figs they rustled up to tie in with Chaosium's Stormbringer RPG? All gone now...

    ReplyDelete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...